This online certificate program starts December 4, 2012
Sorry the December start date is now SOLD OUT. For information on March and May 2013 start dates please go here.
Register early! Space is limited for these courses!
(July, August and October Course) Ray Jimenez, author, 3-Minute e-Learning, Scenario-Based Learning: Using Stories to Engage e-Learners and Do-it-Yourself e-Learning: 100 Ways to Simplify Design and Development. Ray is the systems architect for Vignettes Learning and Training Magazine Network .
(July, October and December Course) Tom Gafford, Technology Guru, Vignettes Learning. Tom has implemented numerous e-learning courses from compliance programs to simulation and radar training for the pilots. Tom is an expert in Captivate and has embraced Storyline for new generation e-learning programs. He has developed projects for Edison Mission, Dendreon, Nexans, KSEA, Northrop Grumman, CallSource, and many others. Tom has added expertise in the full integration of e-learning software with LMSs and other learning platforms.
(August Course) Kevin Thorn, Award-Winning E-learning Designer, Chief NuggetHead/Owner, NuggetHead Studioz, Author, LearnNuggets.com
E-Learning development has been evolving with newer, easier and faster authoring software. And the recently-released Articulate Storyline has received positive reviews from both novices and experienced e-learning developers. It is useful for basic designs but powerful for more advanced interactions as well. With its easier (no programming required) and robust capabilities, you can spend more time improving your e-learning effectiveness and appeal, rather than battle with complex software. It’s coming soon, and now’s your chance to get a head start.
BONUS! In this certificate, we go even further than the basics by providing you with a hands-on opportunity to explore Storyline as well as ready-to-use models and valuable source codes so you save even more time; learn faster and save thousands of dollars.
The certificate is for non-programmers who wish to learn learn basic and advanced authoring features of Storyline.
During this certificate you will get the opportunity to build a real-world e-learning lesson sample. During this process, you will learn the features in Articulate Storyline that you will need to complete your small project.
If you don’t have a licensed copy of Articulate Storyline, you must download a complimentary trial version prior to the start of the course at:
Your trial period for this software is 30 days from the time you install. Do not install it more than 30 days prior to the last session.
See full system download, authoring, viewing and accessibility requirements here: http://www.articulate.com/products/storyline-tech-specs.php
NOTE TO MAC USERS: Articulate Storyline is only a Windows-based program. Currently there is no version specifically for a Mac. However, you can run Storyline on a Mac with Parallels, Boot Camp, or virtual machine.Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org prior to registering for this course if you have questions.
In this certificate you will learn to:
- Quickly match your e-learning design with the “Storyline and Design Comparative Table” developed by Ray Jimenez.
- Match up-to-date instructional design approaches with new programming paradigms of Storyline.
- Apply Flash-like functions without programming skills.
- Determine the rapid non-programming and advances features of Storyline.
- Organize lessons by scenes and slides.
- Rapidly layout lesson pages.
- Import PowerPoint files and leverage your current library.
- Apply layers, triggers, timelines, import audio, video and media files.
- Leverage built-in image and photo libraries.
- Simple interactions: drag and drop, hide-reveal, hotspots and rollovers, and more.
- Screen image capture and video and audio editing.
- Add interactions with markers, layers, different tests and quizzes.
- Implement ready-to-use models and source codes:
o Build five (5) engaging and interactive stories using Ray’s Set-up, Relate, Interpret, Apply (SRIA) model.
o Convert heavy text content into multi-level easy to navigate lesson.
o Create mapping interaction using markers, layers and zoom.
o Build software emulation and simulation with video-screen captures of your applications.
o Create scenarios using scene branching and variables.
- The following ready-to-use models and source codes will be provided:
o Soft skills: leadership, coaching, handling customers.
o Computer applications: model for simulation.
o Scenarios: “Zombies” and “What if I die today” authored by Ray Jimenez.
SESSION 1 (2 hours online session and 2 hours project-based)
- Build a basic e-learning plan using slides, scenes, layers and triggers.
- Use engaging instructional layout - "must-learn" and "learn on need."
- Create interactive content with drill down, hide-reveal, pop-ups, links, references, notes.
- Use image capture, image libraries, import media, import PowerPoint files.
- Construct tests and quiz exercises.
Project: Build and publish a simple lesson with your content
SESSION 2 (2 hours online session and 2 hours project-based)
- Use interactive tools drag and drop, hide-reveal, hotspots and rollovers, and more.
- Use interactive design: rote, mapping, discovery.
- Create interactive exercises – knowledge mapping, game, discovery decisions.
- Use ready-to-use Interactive Stories on compliance topics: safety, anti-discrimination, risk management.
Project: add an interactive exercise or interactive story to your lesson
SESSION 3 (2 hours online session and 2 hours project-based)
- Use software motion screen capture for technical e-learning.
- Apply case-based software and technical design.
- Add interaction and simulation in the motion screen capture.
- Editing and combining the video screen capture with other interactive methods.
- Use ready-to-use software training source files as templates or reusable versions.
Project: Create a software screen capture simulation of your content.
SESSION 4 (2 hours online session and 2 hours project-based)
- Build branching and scenario type of interaction using scenes.
- Apply beyond just branching to true scenario design.
- Apply variables in scenarios and other interactions.
- Use ready-to-use source codes for building model scenarios.
Project: Create a basic scenario and branching exercise.
Basic computing skills are required and a basic understanding of e-learning is helpful.
Who Should Attend
The certificate is for non-programmers who wish to learn learn basic and advanced authoring features of Storyline. Managers will also benefit from seeing the creation and development process so they may accurately estimate course development time and cost.
July 2012 Online Course Schedule: Sold out!
August 2012 Online Course Schedule: Sold out!
October 2012 Online Course Schedule: Sold out!
December 2012 Online Course Schedule: Sold out! For information on March and May 2013 start dates please go here.
Session 1: Tuesday, December 4, 2012
Session 2:Thursday, December 6, 2012
Session 3:Tuesday, December 11, 2012
Session 4:Thursday, December 13, 2012
RAIN DATE: Friday, December 14, 2012. 'Rain Date' is a date to reserve on your calendar. It will be used in the unlikely event that an earlier schedule course can not run as planned due to technical difficulties or a speaker emergency.)
Each session is 4 hours in length. The first 2 hours of each session are instructor-led and online. The remaining 2 hours are project-based and will consist of self-driven time where you will have the opportunity to do your projects and homework on your own, or stay online and work with/ask questions of your instructor and peers. An online collaboration tool will be provided to share from everyone's projects and interactions.
All sessions start at 1:00 pm Eastern Time (New York time). Here is the time of the sessions listed in various time zones:
- 10:00 am - 2:00 pm Pacific Time (PT)
- 11:00 am - 3:00 pm Mountain Time (MT)
- 12:00 pm - 4:00 pm Central Time (CT)
- 1:00 pm - 5:00 pm Eastern Time (ET)
For times in other cities, visit this link. Live sessions will be recorded for those who wish to go back and review or who must miss a live session.
Register for this certificate program now to reserve a virtual seat. See below.
July 2012 Course Rates: SOLD OUT!
August 2012 Course Rates: SOLD OUT!
October 2012 Course Rates: SOLD OUT!
December 2012 Course Rates: SOLD OUT! For information on March and May 2013 start dates please go here.
Train as a Team and Save!
For questions on group discounts, call 612.340.4742, or contact us for details.
Course Equipment (IMPORTANT)
You'll participate in online and collaborative activities in a number of ways, each designed to provide a unique means to interact and learn from experts and colleagues. All course delivery software operates at Internet connection speeds of 56.6 kbps or better, on PC, Mac and Unix platforms. Programs will use teleconferencing or VoIP (voice over Internet Protocol.) The login instructions emailed to you approximately one week prior to the start of the course will outline platform use as well as any headset requirements or suggestions. Each registrant must provide their own laptop or desktop computer and other equipment (such as a headset) in order to fully and successfully participate in the course. Please test your login information a minimum of 48 hours in advance on your course start date on the computer you will be using for the course.
What Others are Saying About This Course
“This program was exceptional with all of the opportunities that were provided for me to learn to use Articulate Storyline immediately. I was able to apply what I learned from the very first day! I recommend this to anyone who wants to use Storyline.”
Jeffrey Riley, Training Specialist, Sunoco, Inc.
“This is a great class for getting up to speed on what Articulate Storyline can do and how to use key features right away in your next learning project.”
Marianne Zapparelli, Senior Learning Consultant, Fireman's Fund Insurance Co, Inc.
“One of my many functions was to convert the current instructor-led courses to web-based. This certificate has helped bring my web-based training to life.”
Gwen Davis, IT Training Administrator, Fulton County Schools
You'll receive ready-to-use models
and valuable source codes
so you can save even more time; learn faster and save thousands of dollars.